Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Preferred first name

The university recognizes that some students prefer to be addressed by names other than their legal first names. For this reason, the university permits you to designate a preferred name that may be used wherever possible throughout your study period.

A preferred first name is one by which a student is normally addressed, that is not their legal first name.

For example:

  • A student’s legal name is William Joshua Roberts, and the student normally goes by their legal middle name. This student’s preferred name is Joshua.
  • A student’s legal first name is Janson, and the student normally goes by Jay. This student’s preferred name is Jay.
  • A transgender student was assigned the name Jason when she was born. This student feels that this name does not reflect their gender identity and prefers to be called Jenny. This student’s preferred name is Jenny.
  • Bingwin Lee is an international student from China who prefers to be called Becky. This student’s preferred name is Becky.

A preferred name can currently be used on:

  • Canvas
  • class lists
  • student ID card
  • alumni card

Your preferred first name will not appear on official university documents such as your transcript and degree parchment. You may change, delete or alter your preferred name at any time throughout your study period.

Adding or removing a preferred first name

You can add or remove a preferred first name by completing the preferred first name section of the name/gender change form (found on MyCampus, on the OT Documents tab) and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar for approval. You are only permitted to submit a preferred first name. Your legal last name remains the same unless you submit a name/gender change form accompanied by official documentation. If you would like to remove your middle name, please indicate this on the form.

Documentation is not required for this request, however, you must upload a copy of your student ID card when submitting the form.

The university reserves the right to remove or deny, with or without notice, the use of a preferred name if it is used for inappropriate purposes including, but not limited to, misrepresentation, avoiding legal obligation, or the use of offensive or derogatory language.

 Changing your legal name

Your legal name is the name used on official university documents and records such as:

  • Confirmation of enrolment
  • Degree parchments and certificates
  • Graduation letters
  • Reports to government transcript

To change your legal name you must complete the name/gender change form and provide official documentation. This form is found on MyCampus on the OT Documents tab.

Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Birth certificate
  • Change of name certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Passport

The change of name form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar along with the required original documentation.