Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

If you have legally changed your name or want to update your preferred name with the university, read through these FAQs to get more details on the process.

Graduation and alumni

Human Resources

  • If I am working at the university, do I need to contact Human Resources to let them know about changes to my first name?

    Changes to your name will be updated with Human Resources only if you make a legal name change. Many of the documents used through a work placement will be used in conjunction with the government, like the Canadian Revenue Agency. Because of this, it's important that the name on your student record matches the legal name that is used in your government identification. 

    Once you complete the Name/Gender Change form and it has been processed, your new legal name will be updated automatically with Human Resources.

Legal gender change

Legal name change