Skip to main content

Insurance Resources

Insurance Policies

  • Automobile

    Each year, the University subscribes to a Commercial Automobile Policy, which provides insurance coverage for University-owned or leased vehicles, and their drivers. The automobile policy coverage includes:

    • Third party liability for property damage or bodily injury to others;
    • Accident benefits which includes the cost of medical expenses and possible loss of income due to injuries sustained while driving the vehicle;
    • Physical damage caused by collision or comprehensive losses to University-owned or leased vehicles over 30 days.

    The use of University-owned or leased vehicles is limited to approved University business only. Personal use of any University vehicle is strictly prohibited.

    Drivers operating a University-owned vehicle for any period of time must have a valid driver’s license with the appropriate class. Risk Management must be notified of all individuals who are operating university vehicles for any period of time.

    All University vehicles are equipped with a pink liability slip that provides our insurance company’s name and the University’s policy number. Please reach out to the Office of Risk Management at 905.721.3201, or by email at if a replacement slip is required.

    What Isn't Covered

    Short-term vehicle rentals (less than 30 days) are not included in the University's automobile insurance policy. Such rental arrangements must include appropriate insurance coverage. When making plans to rent a vehicle beyond 30 days, please reach out to Risk Management to ensure there is adequate coverage available to the rental vehicle.

    Members of the University should be governed by good business practices when requesting staff and students to use their vehicles for business purposes. Please note: Private insurance companies require individuals to carry business insurance when using their private vehicle for employment purposes.

  • Non-Owned Automobile
    The non-owned automobile policy complements the standard automobile policy and covers claims for bodily injury or property damage to third parties arising out of the use of automobiles not owned by the University. This policy applies to short-term rented vehicles (less than 30 days), provided the University's name is on the agreement and the vehicle is being used for University sanctioned business. This policy extends to rental vehicles rented within Canada and the United States only.
  • Property

    Coverage available under the University's Property Insurance protects the University from any incidents or accidents that may cause physical loss or damage to assets of the University. This policy indemnifies the University for its loss and the loss of its income-producing ability.

  • Course of Construction & Wrap Up

    These policies are procured to cover damage or loss during the course of the construction of a new building or renovation project on campus.

    Please reach out to the Office of Risk Management at 905.721.3201, or by email at for further information or to secure a quote for insurance. 

  • Cargo & Transportation

    While damage to cargo in transit is a covered loss under the University's property insurance policy, the property policy carries a large deductible which is typically higher than the value of the goods being shipped.

    The University procures cargo insurance on an as needed basis for cargo in transit which may fall under the deductible.

    This insurance covers physical loss or damage of goods carried by vessel, road, rail, aircraft, post, or by any other conveyance. This insurance protects those who have an insurable and/or financial interest in the cargo. Coverage ranges from All Risks to Named Perils, with common extensions as well as customized wording. 

    Please reach out to the Office of Risk Management at 905.721.3201, or by email at for further information or to secure a quote for insurance. 

  • General Liability

    This policy agrees to provide coverage to the University against liability claims for bodily injury, personal injury, or property damage, arising out of its operation or to those considered as additional insured's while acting on behalf of the University. 

    This policy covers University members and all operations which represent scheduled University activities and extends to all students, as long as they are acting under the direction of a University staff member and the occurrence takes place during an authorized University activity. This extension, however, does not apply to students acting in any way as a protest against the University of Ontario Institute of Technology or any part of it (e.g.; strikes, demonstrations).

  • Student Business Travel

    This policy applies to all Board of Governors, students, contract staff and volunteers of the University that require medical attention or emergency assistance while traveling on a planned trip approved by the University. The coverage is to protect these individuals from a sudden or unexpected illness or injury that may occur while on a sanctioned trip.

    What Isn't Covered

    This coverage does not extend to University staff or faculty.

    For staff and faculty that are BMO Corporate Account Primary Cardholders, please read the BMO Certificate of Insurance and Summary of Assistance Services booklet for clarity on insurance coverage. For more information please contact Human Resources.

  • Student Placement

    This policy provides coverage to active Ontario Tech University students, participating in a university approved work placement or volunteer setting and are not covered under Workers' Compensation, WSIB, or Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU) coverage. 

    Coverage is applicable to any accident while participating in paid or unpaid work placements or volunteer setting arranged or approved by the University, including while traveling to and from the work placement (most direct route).

    The policy provides coverage worldwide.

    This policy extends to include the following range of placements:

    • elective programs
    • Internships
    • volunteer work placements
    • co-op placements
    • Work placements as a graduate student
    • Bridge Programs
    • Work or Volunteer Placements that occur on University Premises
    • Practicums for which there is no evaluation component is covered
    • Students gathering information for research (where the student is not employed by the university)
    • Courses and programs that are not funded by the Government agency through operating grants are covered
    • Graduate students participating in field placements or site visits for the purposes of skill development
    • Student Trainees whose work placement is within the same University that trains them
    • Job Shadowing
    What Isn't Covered

    Coverage is not provided for International Student Trainees who are on work placement outside of Canada and such work placement occurs within the Student Trainee’s country of primary residence. However, coverage does apply for International Student Trainees who are on work placements outside of Canada, other than their country of primary residence.

  • Other Available Insurance Sources
    Workers Compensation

    For information relating to WSIB/Worker compensation for employees of the University, please refer to the University's Human Resources website.

    Sun Life Insurance 

    For questions or inquiries relating to medical or dental benefits available to University staff and faculty, please refer to the University's Human Resources website.

    Student Union Health and Dental 

    Information regarding full-time student health and dental benefits available through the Student Union insurance plan can be found on the Student Union website. 

    University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

    For general information relating to UHIP, please refer to the University's International Education website.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Am I covered under the University's insurance policy when renting a vehicle for University business?

    In order to qualify for coverage under the University's insurance policy, the rental vehicle use must be used for and approved as University sanctioned business only. This may include partnership development and cultivation, recruitment, attendance at conferences, symposia and/or other professional development programs. 

    There are two types of coverage that should be considered when renting a vehicle: third-party liability, and physical damage to the rental vehicle itself. 

    The non-owned policy available through the University's risk management office provides coverage for exposure to third-party liability. Please follow the insurance directions below to minimize any personal liability and insurance exposure. 

    Students are required to complete a business travel application form and outline the proposed use of a rental vehicle. The form must be signed by the faculty Dean and submitted to Risk Management. 

    Insurance Requirements when Renting Vehicles for University Business 
    • Coverage only extends to vehicles rented for 30 days or less; 
    • Additional drivers must be named on the rental agreement;  
    • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) should be purchased from the rental agency (see BMO direction below if using a corporate card); 
    • The rental contract must clearly show the University of Ontario, Institute of Technology as the “renter”. E.g.; Renter: University of Ontario, Institute of Technology, Faculty of Science, Dr. J. Doe
    • The rental agreement conditions, limitations, and exclusions should be observed at all times;
    For renting a vehicle outside Canada and the United States, it is recommended that all available insurance protection offered through the rental contract is purchased. This may include collision damage waiver, third-party liability, personal protection insurance. The University policy does not extend to countries outside of Canada and the United States. 

    In the event of an accident, please notify Risk Management.

    Bank of Montreal (BMO) Credit Card Rental Coverage  

    The University subscribes to a corporate credit card through the BMO. If you have been provided with a credit card, you have access to car rental benefits called Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) provided under the card as a primary cardholder. There are several conditions, limitations, and exclusions to the policy which should be considered prior to waiving the CDW available from the rental facility.  Please read the Certificate of Insurance booklet provided by the credit card company, Section 4 Coverage, and Description of Benefits. Conditions include, but are not limited to:  

    • the car must be rented by the primary cardholder;
    • the vehicle must have a suggested retail price of less than $85,000;
    • must be for business purposes;
    • does not extend to cover rentals beyond 30 days;
    • does not extend to cover vans, trucks, campers, off-road vehicles, 

    In the event of an accident, please contact BMO directly. 

  • Is my personal property covered under the University's insurance policy?
    Personal property (e.g.; laptop, cellphone, motor vehicle) of University members and/or the public is not covered by the University’s property policy. Members of the University and the public are responsible for their own property and should be aware of the insurance provisions of their personal property policy while using it for University-affiliated activities. In the case of an incident or accident, contact should be made with the personal property insurance provider.
  • Am I covered under the University's insurance policy when using my personal vehicle for University business?

    If a personal vehicle is used to transport students and/or employees (e.g.; field trips, conferences), the insurance covering that specific vehicle is considered the primary carrier and would respond in the event of an accident, whether the driver is a University member or anyone else driving the vehicle with permission of the vehicle's owner.

    The university's liability is limited to the mileage expense incurred.

    The University's automobile policy only responds to vehicles listed as a fleet vehicle on the policy. For information on additional options of insurance, please refer to the non-owned automobile insurance section of this website.

  • How do I add a new driver to the University's automobile policy?
    Licensing Requirements for University Drivers

    The following documents must be established and shared with Risk Management in order to qualify a NEW driver under the University’s insurance policy:

    1. Signed release of information form
    2. Drivers Abstract, 3 years
    3. Proof of current Insurance
    4. Photocopy of Driver’s license 
    Annual University Driver Reporting Requirements 

    An abstract must be completed at the time of the University’s annual policy renewal for all listed drivers (April 1). This includes all University members. An annual abstract will not be required for any drivers added within 6 months of the policy renewal. Risk Management will request this information at the time of renewal from the appropriate contact within the unit.

    Risk Mitigation Strategies to Consider Before Driving a University Vehicle

    Know your Route: Before getting into the vehicle, please take the time to make sure you know where you are going, the route you should be taking, and expected travel time given the road conditions and time of day.

    Check Weather and Driving Conditions: Check both the road conditions and weather conditions anticipated along your route. Use the Weather Network or other reliable apps to determine anticipated weather. If the weather is expected to be poor, consider whether or not your scheduled activity can be postponed or deferred. Please always err on the side of caution when determining whether to drive in known hazardous conditions. As a reminder: the driver is responsible for the vehicle and must maintain control of the vehicle at all times.

    Snow tires are strongly recommended for driving during the winter months.

    Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection: This is important for your safety, the safety of others, and the protection of the vehicle.

    The Vehicle:

    • Complete a walk around of the vehicle to look for any recent damage or mechanical defects.
    • Ensure all vehicle lights/turn lights are in working order
    • Check tire pressure
    • Remove all ice and snow
    • Check all mirrors/windshields for cracks
    • Ensure the seat, seatbelt, chair, mirrors are adjusted appropriately for the driver

    The Cabin:

    • Free of loose materials
    • Vehicle equipment secured and tied down
    • Tie-downs/clamps are used properly and are secure
    • Back doors are closed and securely locked

    Fluids to Check Under the Hood Regularly: 

    • Engine oil
    • Washer fluid
    • Radiator fluid
    • Transmission fluid
    • Power steering fluid

    Vehicle Road Kit: It is recommended that each University vehicle driven should be equipped with an emergency road kit in cases of unfortunate circumstances. The kit may include any or all of the following items:

    • First aid kit
    • Fire extinguisher
    • Triangles or cones
    • Work gloves
    • Hand wipes
    • Flashlight, with extra batteries
    • Emergency thermal blanket, food and water, road flares
    • Booster cables
    • Scraper
    • Shovel
    • Tire repair kit
    • Extra windshield washer fluid
    • Antifreeze
    Other Key Considerations While Operating the Vehicle
    • Drivers are expected to always operate the vehicle in accordance with the Laws of the Province;
    • The vehicle should be parked in well-lit areas, and locked at all times when parked;
    • Avoid leaving valuable items in the vehicle or in plain view in the vehicle. Use the trunk if necessary to secure items;
    • Avoid leaving the vehicle idling; 
    • Refrain from identification tags on the vehicle key ring;
    • When the vehicle is not being driven, the vehicle keys should be secured in a locked cabinet, and not accessible to others;
    • A vehicle notebook should be kept in the glove compartment to record and manage all journeys taken with the vehicle, including dates, times, kilometers driven, driver name, and note any infractions while driving the vehicle.

     For more information on safe and responsible driving, please visit the Ministry website. 

  • Am I covered under the University's insurance policy when traveling for University business?

    In order to qualify for coverage under the University's insurance policy, the proposed travel must be considered University sanctioned business. This may include partnership development and cultivation, recruitment, attendance at conferences, symposia and/or other professional development programs. 

    Students are required to complete a business travel application form and outline the proposed business trip. The form must be signed by the faculty Dean and submitted to Risk Management. Upon receipt of the approved business travel application, Risk Management will share the policy benefits and contact details with the student. 

  • How do I report a claim?

    Risk Management is responsible for managing the insurance program for Ontario Tech, which includes managing all losses and/or claims that may impact the University's insurance coverage. This may include claims that fall beneath the University's insurance deductible. 

    The Director of Risk Management, upon notification from the University community, will notify the appropriate insurance carrier. All losses and/or potential claims must be reported within a reasonable time frame to avoid any delays in the investigation or collection of evidence. The University's insurance policies may carry a limitation period on reporting new losses and/or claims.

    In the event of any loss (e.g.; personal injury, property damage, automobile) the person(s) and/or unit involved should immediately:

    1. File a report either with Security and/or the local police department.
    2. Contact Risk Management.
    3. Make no admissions, settlements or offers, or sign any statements except as required by a police officer.

    The following is a brief summary of the types of losses and the appropriate reporting procedures that should occur:

    University-Owned (or Leased) Automobile Accident Reporting Procedures
    In case of an on-campus automobile accident:
    1. Stop immediately and investigate.
    2. If anyone is injured, give first aid.
    3. Notify Security ext. 2400, immediately. Security will contact the ambulance or police if necessary.
    4. Security will also file an accident report on your behalf and a copy will be sent to Risk Management.
    In case of an off-campus accident:
    1. Stop immediately and investigate.
    2. If anyone is injured, give first aid, or if necessary, contact the ambulance (911). If possible, note the type of injury and get names and addresses of injured persons.
    3. Notify the police immediately. If possible, obtain the officer's name and badge number.
    4. Obtain names, addresses and insurance information (pink-colored insurance card) of owners and drivers, and the license plate number of other cars involved, as well as names and addresses of any witnesses.
    5. If the accident is minor, you may be directed to the nearest Collision Reporting Centre to file an accident report.
    6. Report the accident to Insurance and Risk Management immediately.

    Although many automobile accidents may appear minor in nature, it is not uncommon for third parties to suffer from bodily injury after the incident. Such injuries sometimes result in a much larger claim against the university. Failure to report an accident promptly may result in a delay or denial of a claim.

    Injury Reporting Procedures

    In the event of an on-campus injury:

    1. Seek medical attention immediately. Security will call an ambulance if necessary.
    2. All personal injury incidents should be reported to Security within 24 hours after the accident.
    3. Security will forward the report to Risk Management.
    4. If the injury involves an employee, Human Resources must be notified within 24 hours of the accident.
    5. If a student is injured, Student Services must be notified.

    In the event of an off-campus injury related to University activities or business:

    1. If anyone is injured, give first aid, or if necessary, contact the ambulance (911). If possible, note the type of injury and get names and addresses of injured persons and any witnesses to the occurrence.
    2. Notify the police immediately. If possible, obtain the officer's name and badge number.
    3. Report accident to Insurance and Risk Management within 24 hours.
    Damage to Ontario Tech Property or Equipment (Owned or Leased) Accident Reporting Procedures
    1. Immediately notify Security.
    2. In the case of break-in or theft, Security must notify police.
    3. Police officer's name, badge number, and division are to be obtained and included in the security report.
    4. Give full details of the incident E.g.; when it occurred, how it occurred, the dollar value of the damage
    5. Security Services will issue a copy of the report to Insurance and Risk Management.

    When the loss is such that repairs must begin immediately (e.g., fire, flood, large numbers of computer losses, etc.), please contact Security.

    Damage to Property Owned by Others (caused by a University member on University business):
    1. Notify property owner immediately.
    2. If necessary, contact the police or fire department (911).
    3. The owner will report the incident to their insurers if necessary.
    4. Report incident to the Insurance and Risk Management Department within 24 hours.

    Damage to third party automobiles is covered under the university's automobile policy.