Skip to main content

International Travel

International travel is a fundamental and growing activity within our university. Students travel to pursue educational opportunities; faculty and researchers travel to seek and share knowledge, and staff travel to expand our international network of students and partners.

As members of the university community travel internationally, the safety of our students, faculty, researchers, and staff is of primary concern, and the university must play a role in safeguarding their well-being.  Students travelling on behalf of the university are provided with insurance to ensure they are covered for any out-of-country medical emergencies. Out-of-country medical insurance contact and benefits information is provided by the Office of Risk Management upon receiving the approved Travel Application form.  

  • Download the Educational Travel Application (temporarily unavailable) form.

University policy states that a risk assessment is required for any University member planning travel to a country of high risk, as determined by the Government of Canada (specifically, a country that has a travel advisory of “AVOID ALL TRAVEL” or “AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL”).

The risk assessment must be completed by the University member in coordination with the Office of Risk Management.



    All University members are encouraged to register their travel with the Registration of Canadians Abroad which is a service provided by the Canadian government for Canadian citizens. There are alternatives available for members of the University which do not meet the criteria of a Canadian citizen, which can be found on the Government of Canada website. 

    Traveling students should also register their international travel with the International Office to ensure they can be reached in the event of an emergency.

    The University has additional registration sites which can be requested through the Office of Risk Management or through Student Life - International Education. These sites provide educational videos to University members on common risks while traveling abroad.


    It is encouraged that University members review all available advisories about their proposed travel destination(s) such as:

    • Environmental conditions: common weather, common wildlife, increased altitudes
    • Health conditions, including common diseases or parasites
    • Laws, etiquette, and cultural norms
    • Safety and security conditions
    • Cultural differences / tips
    • Holidays/celebrations that may affect your travel plans
    • Crime – crime rates, common crimes, areas to avoid
    • Entry and Departure Requirements – review documentation required to pass customs, immigration, and visa requirements
    • Political conditions
    • Transportation and available methods (road conditions, driving, using taxicabs, public transportation)
    • Water and food safety
    • Available channels of communication (available connections, Wifi, Cellphone)
    • Local currency and acceptable payment
    • Closest Consulate and local emergency numbers